Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Electric Michelangelo



I first heard about this book when my aunt suggested I read it. She just ranted and raved about how good it was. Being as I love reading and I like tattoos/tattooing, I decided to purchase the book and give it a shot.
The story is about the life of a boy named Cyril Parks. He grows up in northern England and begins an apprenticeship with a local tattoo artist. As he grows up he takes his tattooing business to Coney Island. Sarah Hall writes a great story, very vivid with many details. The characters are very well developed and the settings described wonderfully. The one problem I had with this book though were many of the details - often there was so much description I found myself thinking, 'OK, what was going on here?' This was one of those books where I had to be concentrating fairly hard to be reading it. Also, I will admit I am kind of a slow reader, but because there are only 6 or so chapters in the book, it took me quite a while to read it. It just felt as though the chapters never ended. After finally getting into it - about halfway through, I didn't feel like it was somewhat of a burden to read it.
Overall I would give this book 3 out of 5. I can see how many people would really enjoy this story. I enjoyed it myself but would like something with a little bit more excitement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment