Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Creamy Potato Soup

Time for my first real post! So I was looking for something warm to make on a cold day and what else could I try but soup! I found a recipe I wanted to try so here goes...Creamy Potato Soup in the Crock Pot.
The original recipe came from from here, but I made some changes.

-5 slices of bacon, cooked and cumbled
-5-6 red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
-1/4 cup butter
-1/2 onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
-1/2 cup milk
-1/4 cup flour
-3 cups milk
-1 cup sour cream
-1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
-1 tablespoon fresh parsley
-1/2 teaspoon celery salt
-1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
-chives for garnish


1) Preheat a large slow cooker (I used the medium one, not a super big one) by turning it to high. Put butter in slow cooker and cover with lid.


2) Cut up onion and garlic cloves.

3) Put onions and garlic in the slow cooker. Stir with melted butter. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until onions turn golden.


4) While onions are cooking peel and cut up potatoes. Put in microwavable dish with a lid (I used a casserole). I also put some water in the dish to keep potatoes moist. Set aside.


5) Make sure butter is melted and onions are golden. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of milk. Whisk in the flour until smooth.


6) Gradually whisk in the remaining 3 cups for milk. Do this very slowly. Let the mixture come to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the soup begins to thicken. This is what the recipe says but I did not see the soup simmering. After letting it cook for 1/2 hour or so, stirring occasionally, I decided to move on.


7) While it is cooking, make the bacon. Also, cook the potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes on high - until they are steaming hot.

8) Stir in the sour cream. It appears to curdle but I used a whisk to smooth it out. Stir in the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, hot potatoes, 3 strips of crumbled bacon, parsley, celery salt, and basil. Stirring is key to this soup! Make sure ingredients are mixed well.


9) Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 hours. Stir occasionally. I tried the soup after it was cooking for 2 hours and it was delicious!


10) When serving, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, and chives.






Perfect dinner! With a perfect boyfriend for the 6 month anniversary. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment